Monday, April 21, 2008

World's Largest Ferris wheel

Singapore Flyer

London Eye


The world's largest Ferris wheel, the Singapore Flyer, opened its capsules to the public recently, offering a bird's eye view of the city as well as parts of neighbouring Malaysia and Indonesia. It's a new icon for the city. You will be able to experience spectacular views of the Singapore skyline: the magnificent Marina Bay, towering skyscrapers, tropical greenery, and the bright lights and non-stop action against the beautiful skies. Having said that, I haven't been to Singapore for ages. There's so much development going on and it's bustling nevertheless.

Standing at 165 metres (541 feet) high, the Singapore Flyer, is 30 metres (98 feet) taller than the iconic London Eye. The capsule in London caters for 25 people, Singapore 28 while Beijing can cater for 40 people.

The Singapore wheel will not be the world's tallest for long, as the same group that will operate the Flyer is building a 208-metre high wheel in Beijing by the summer Olympics in 2008 and plans a 172-metre wheel in Berlin by 2009.

Initially, I intended to bring my family to conquer the Singapore Flyer during the upcoming school holidays but I changed my mind when I found out about the Beijing ferris wheel. I've climbed the Great Wall of China and god willing I 'd love to embrace the Great Wheel of China in the near future.



No comments: