Monday, July 21, 2008

Breast Feeding Protest

Breastfeeding seems to be the most natural, beautiful exchange between mother and child I could ever imagine. After all, God created the breasts just for this purpose.

I came across this news article on breast feeding protest that caught my attention. Now, here's my opinion: it depends on the place as well as the person involved. I have no objection to women breast-feeding their babies in a public place, more power to them, not weird at all, but how it's being done is also a factor. The mothers just need to be discreet and not expose their breasts. I breast fed all my three children, my last until she was six months old. There are moments when it can be inconvenient as it is a private intimate thing to do and I don't want it to be done in public unless a last resort.

Sometimes the baby will choke and you have to overcome with that first and not the spray of milk from your exposed breast, I definitely don't want to see that happen .........but don't get me wrong! I am not anti breast feeding! It's a truly beautiful thing symbolizing the perfect bond between mom and child. I'm just pretty shy about exposing myself and I'm not good at nursing in such a way that you couldn't tell what was going on. So it's either in the car or restroom for me and my kiddo. It's just that there is a time and place for everything.

I understand that many people are extremely uncomfortable with women breastfeeding in public as well. Seeing women breast feed their child in public “freaks” out some people.

Maddie Reynolds, with daughter Sophie, was asked to leave for breastfeeding


Mum power: The friends from ante-natal class converge on McDonald's for the feed-in. Maddie Reynolds is fourth from the left

4 comments:

speak in doodles said...

Perverts are another reason why breast feeding in public isn't so cool.

Lin said...

This is because society is not yet accepting enough of the fact that breastfeeding in public is normal.

Anonymous said...

I nursed all 3 of my children until about 1 year old. Since I'm now an old lady, breast feeding was not "in" when I was doing it. I was adept at covering the baby and breast with a small blanket when necessary, but the danger of the baby grabbing the blanket away always existed. My daughter (probably your age) has a great nursing cover which snaps around her neck but leaves the child accessible. I'm envious of this era when such helpful tools are available!

Lin said...

bonnie,
I have never used a nursing cover and don’t ever plan on using one. Breastfeeding should be a natural thing to do. It is the best way to feed a baby. Unfortunately, there are still people that are ignorant of the rights of mothers and babies and that give nursing moms a hard time, ranging from a disapproving glare to asking a mom to cover up or leave the premises. Our society also sexualizes breasts and has decided that they are “private parts”, so a lot of moms fear letting others have a small peak at part of their breast while nursing in public.