Thursday, May 15, 2008

Natural Disasters: Myanmar & China


Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar



China Earthquake

For the first few months of 2008, many of us became impatient and looking forward to our new beginnings and the new world to arrive. Unfortunately, this May had been an unlucky month of natural disasters, particularly in Asia. Natural disasters always happen unexpectedly. As the people of Myanmar struggle in wake of Cyclone Nargis, along comes the earthquake in Sichuan.

Hundreds of thousands of people are dying in Myanmar as a result of the cyclone, and now tens of thousands are feared to be dead in southwest China as a result of an earthquake and the numbers are staggering. As I write this, another storm appears to be headed to Myanmar.

Imagine if, here in Malaysia, something like a cyclone whipped through your neighbourhood, flinging pieces of your house and all of your belongings far away. Having said that, it reminds me of the tsunami that rocked Penang, Kedah and some Asian countries in 2004. Imagine being separated - by yards, by miles - from your partner, your kids and not knowing where they were. It's unimaginable and terrifying, I know, but surreal to a lot of people at this sombre moment. I'm very thankful that I haven't encounter any personal experiences with natural disasters so far.

I've been in the state of grumbling and rumbling lately about things in life but these recent natural disasters have shaken me awake to reality. My heart oozes with compassion for those caught up in these disasters. When I think of those people must be going through, my spirit falls miserably.

What's happening to this world? Is doom day coming?


No comments: